Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Art Process: Fat Unicorn

Hi everyone! I know it's been a while. I was just feeling really uninspired lately and didn't want to force myself into writing a post that then wasn't going to be interesting to read anyway. But today, the inspiration came back! I've been working on some designs and thought it might be fun to give you a look at my usual process. I personally always love to see how other artists work :) 

My ideas usually just come to me randomly. Usually when I'm showering, working out or lying in bed! This idea came to me after lunch, when I for some reason felt like drawing a fat unicorn. Preferably eating a rainbow. Because, WHY NOT!?

Even though I enjoy working digitally lately, I ALWAYS sketch with pencil on paper first. Nothing beats paper and pencil. It allows you to create organic lines and to just be rough and messy until you get the composition right. This sketch actually went quite smoothly and I sketched it all out in about 10 minutes with the help of some pictures of horses lying down.
I'm usually too lazy to hook up my laptop to the scanner, so I take a picture of it with my phone and send it to my computer and import it into illustrator! Then it's just a matter of tracing with the pen tool. First time I did this, about 3 years ago, I was terrible and hated using it. Now it's second nature. Practise makes (almost) perfect!
So this is what it looks like then. A line drawing with a bunch of lines that seem to be out of place. But no worries! This will all be solved when the colouring begins.
For colouring I usually pick a few basic colours that go well together and go from there with different shades etc. These are the colours I picked for this drawing.
Colouring is the most fun to me! It's when it really all starts coming together. I usually leave the background either a light yellow or grey colour and then see what looks best in the end..

The final touches are making the lines a little more fancy, adding detail likes lines in the tail and mane and then picking a background colour + lining it up so it's nice and centered.

And that's pretty much it! I'm quite pleased with how it turned out :) You can find this piece now in my Redbubble store! Hope you enjoyed this little sneak peak into my process!

No comments:

Post a Comment