Thursday, January 7, 2016

Book Review: Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson


Let me start off this review by saying this: if you don't own this book already, run to your bookstore or open up amazon and get it RIGHT NOW.

Got it? Okay good. Now go read it. Trust me, it won't take long. You'll blaze through it within a day, but then I suggest you don't and take lots of dance, tea, cuddle and netflix breaks to make it last a little longer. It's really that good and will put you in a good, positive mood to start this new year off right!

This book has been on display at every bookstore I've visited in the past few weeks, and normally when books are consistently being shoved in my face I tend to not want to read them (same happened with Hunger Games, but then I gave in and loved it and stayed up until 4 in the morning to finish the series). The main reason why I did put it on my 'to read' list is because I found out that mental illness was an important theme and most importantly that it was about living with mental illness but still being positive and kicking ass at life! Plus there's an overly excited raccoon with glittery confetti on the cover. I was sold.

My sweet boyfriend took note and got it for me for christmas and I started reading it right the next day while he was going nuts over his new videogame. I got halfway through super quick and then had to put it away, just to make it last longer. It's a very honest book. The humour is great and there's a good balance between being serious and silly. There's also small Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Wars etc. references thrown in there which made me relate to the writer even more. She is very random and always has the strangest thoughts in her head that she just HAS to share with the rest of the world.
A gratuitous picture of me looking furiously happy

What I also like is that the chapters are very short, so you can easily read one or two before bed, or on the bus to school. They're all like little mini stories about Jenny's life. Some are funny, some are serious, but they're all great. There's even some pictures here and there so illustrate her crazy thoughts and adventures.

The more 'serious' chapters helped me a lot. The writers gets super open and honest about her struggles. She talks about how she only feels 'accomplished' two or three days a month. All the other days it feels like she hasn't accomplished anything, even though she's get so many things done. I honestly thought I was the only one who felt like this. Every once in a while I feel like I can take on the world and are getting so much stuff done and I feel inspired and driven. But most days I feel the anxiety creeping up on me. I feel like I'm wasting my time on silly things. I feel unaccomplished. And I often wonder what I could do to change that. You see these lifes of all these 'shiny people' on social media who seem to have it all together. They look gorgeous, have the perfect relationship, the perfect food, work out, friends etc. etc. and you can't help but wonder: 'why can't I do all that?', but the truth is, you can't. These shiny people don't exist. They have their own struggles, their own 'behind the scenes'. You're merely looking at a highlight real of their life.
And then I look at Jenna Lawson. She has written two books, goes on book tours, has a career doing what she loves and a little family and still she has that feeling creeping up on her. I honestly think it never really goes away. It's what keeps you going, pushes you forward and keeps you from settling. At the same time, it's also about forming you own idea of succes. Succes is different for everyone. Some people might think it's fame and fortune, for me it's being able to make a phone call, going out by myself or even just getting out of bed in the morning. Succes for me is having someone to love and laugh with, to be able to spend time with those/do the things I love.

Anxiety and depression are no joke and can make you feel very isolated and alone, but this book makes sure to let you know you're not. There's thousands of people out there who understand. Who know. It's like a comfort blanket in book form. A comfort book. There's chapters in it you're going to want to read back whenever everything gets too much or you just need a laugh.

I recommend this book x100000 and also recommend to pass it on to anyone who could use some more insight regarding mental illness. Let's live this life furiously happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment